What are some jobs that might require an employment physical?
- Construction Workers
- Truck/Delivery Drivers
- Commercial Drivers
- Police Officers
- Emergency Medical Technicians
- Air Traffic Controllers
- Store Clerks
- Train Engineers
What is included in an employment physical?
A typical exam includes:
- Checking vital signs, including blood pressure, heal rate, and temperature.
- Looking for any possible signs of heal disease.
- Listening to the lungs for wheezing or difficulty breathing.
- An abdomen check, to examine the live, bowels, and other organs.
- A skin exam, to check for signs and symptoms of underlying illnesses.
Why do employers require an employment physical?
A company may require an employment physical forr new hires only if all candidates for the same job are also subjected to the same physical examination. Under the American Disabilities Act (ADA), employers must make ‘reasonable accommodations’ for those with disabilities to allow them to be considered for job openings.